Annadelle has progressively gotten worse and is now so weak she can not move her left arm or leg, so we made a decision to bring her to the pediatric ER at the University of South Alabama Children’s and Women’s Hospital where they have decided to admit her.
I have had a lot of people messaging me about updates for Annadelle. I don’t want to worry about updating the world, so I’ve asked my mom and my MIL (Kimberly H Andrews and Dorothy Faulkner Selke) to give updates.
Please continue to pray for my baby girl. I am so worried.
We have been admitted to a room in the PICU. Annadelle has been fitted with a respiratory mask and she is being monitored constantly for changes in her breathing. That is what seems to be the major concern- that her body is so weak that she may get so tired that she may stop breathing.
Earlier she was sent for a CT scan. Those results have come back negative, which is good. The doctor said a CT scan would show any masses or obstruction on her spine, which it does not.
At this point they are considering 3 possibilities.
(1) The most likely culprit is transverse myelitis. This is where the spinal cord is inflamed and keeps the brain from sending messages to the rest of the body. It can cause temporary or permanent paralysis. Right now Annadelle is completely unable to use her left arm and reflexes are not good on that arm. She can feel touch to that arm, though, so that is a good sign. She also has very limited use of her left leg. She can not stand or walk. She also cannot sit up or stay up if you place her in a sitting position.
(2) Guillain-Barre Syndrome is another possibility. The attending physician thinks this may be the problem, but is skeptical about that because symptoms from GBS normally present from the feet up. In TM, we were told symptoms can begin anywhere on the body, and because she lost the use of her arm first, it is probably not GBS.
(3) An immune disorder is a possibility but does not seem to be the problem. Sometimes the spine can become inflamed as a defensive mechanism to protect the spinal column, which could also cause loss of limbs temporarily until the body is able to heal itself.
We won’t know any definitive answers until tomorrow after they do an MRI. It is scheduled for 8am. Because the test is so long, they are worried her system may not be strong enough to keep her breathing, so they may place a breathing tube in her in order to breathe for her. They are really playing it by ear to see how she does overnight. As of this second, she is sleeping soundly and her oxygen level is at 99, with a respiratory count of 21.
I want to thank everyone for the support and prayers. I know some of my friends are not God-fearing people, but I know my Father is the ultimate physician can and will perform miracles for my sweet girl. I have faith that He will heal her from this.
The doctors told us to expect a lengthy stay here. I would just ask that you continue to keep my baby girl in your prayers. We need them.